Needs a metric fuckton of research


But ima wondering if the US using up 99 percent of the water of the Colorado River so it's a trickle of water through mudflats by the time it reaches Mexico has ANYTHING to do with Mexico failing to thrive and poor people risking death to flee through harsh lands in hopes of reaching "The Promised Land(TM)".


In Mexico City, average rainfall is a mere 4.52 inches annually, less than the six inches per year seen in the California High Desert just south of Death Valley.

Mexico City is pretty far from the US border and not directly impacted by our stingy water policies.


My recollection is that you need at least 10 inches of rain to be able to supply the needs of a household with catchment, so in theory large parts of Mexico could support households with rain catchment systems. This is what I have READ. I have no firsthand experience with this.

I imagine trying to supply water off grid is a little like trying to supply power off grid: Your first step is killing all the waste so you can figure out what you really NEED.

No you probably don't really need a digital clock plugged in in every single room of the house. We do that because it's convenient and cheap, not because it's a necessity.

I have no idea how much water you need to support INDUSTRY, though my experience with SimCity is that NOTHING grows industry like providing adequate water and power. It beats the hell out of tax incentives and shit like that.

There is an international treaty concerning water disbursement from rivers along the US-Mexico border and supposedly the US is upholding it's end of the bargain but things I've read suggest the mouth of the Colorado River doesn't look like a river at all anymore and it has had significant ecological impact and no doubt economic impacts.

I don't know what can be done about it. I also read, probably in the book Salt Dreams, that there is a concrete canal in southern California and talk of trying to reduce how much water leaks into the ground through the concrete and if they did this it would negatively impact available well water on the Mexica side of the border.

I don't have answers at this time and may never have answers but I have read for years that our next wars will be fought over water and I believe that's exactly why Israel and Gaza are at war. I think instead of trying desperately to stem the tide of illegal immigrants pouring over the border, the US should try not shafting Mexico economically by denying them essential resources like water.

Water is life 

It also drives industry.