Prison Stew

I have notes for a hopeless tilting-at-windmills project about using better nutrition and nutrition education as a primary means of rehabilitation for American prisoners. I've touched on this idea previously on this site, and will add that the idea was born when I was homeless in Fresno, where summer temps can hit 112 degrees daily for several days in a row and I was having a lot of mood issues as a consequence of sweating out stuff.

I began having extreme, irrational anger which was magically solved by eating an orange regularly for the vitamin C and this made me go "Holy crap! I bet just feeding prisoners better would do a lot to resolve a lot of their issues!" and I later was having extreme bipolar-like mood swings which were resolved by doing some research into the salt-lithium connection and consuming beef with salty potatoes when I could feel the mood swings coming on.

Just yesterday, I posted a piece elsewhere titled Survival Foods. The very first recipe on it is: Dried mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes (plain), dried celery, salt. And the intent is you add this to ramen soup, add water and -- voila! -- you have vegetable stew with noodles.

All of the ideas on that page grew out of my notes for this hopelessly idealistic fool's errand which shall, no doubt, never see the light of day. That specific recipe grew out of looking for shelf stable sources of B vitamins (mushrooms), vitamin C (tomatoes) and alkaline foods (celery) because REASONS.