Six of one, half dozen of the other

I don't know much about Elon Musk. I don't tend to read The News and I certainly don't read a lot of gossip column type crap and the world likes to write gossip column type crap about people with that much money and power, no matter how they comport themselves.

His recent remarks suggesting he is single-handedly trying to repopulate the world -- as if 8 billion people isn't enough as is -- annoy me. I don't think he's wrong per se that a falling population is a big problem. That piece is not an unreasonable position, but I don't think he's really serious about that and I don't think it matters that much.

We currently have serious problems because there are 8 billion people on planet earth. Whether we grow our population further, which is easier for humans to deal with socially though it's having egregious environmental consequences, or cull it back, which would ease the environmental distress but comes at social costs humans historically haven't handled well, they both involve serious challenges.

It's a case of pick your poison. Neither answer is "better." The path forward is hard either way and we need to rise to the challenges entailed one way or another.

I think most likely attention on his private life has turned acutely uncomfortable for the man and he's mishandling it.

Most likely everyone assumes he had an affair with his senior executive with whom he recently "welcomed twins." Initial reports framed it like they were a couple or something and made it sound like the report was trying to politely sweep an affair under the rug or something.

More recent reports emphasize they had no affair and he was essentially a sperm donor. He is likely trying to do the honorable thing and not deny the children their identity and heritage by confirming he is the father, but the world doesn't really have good procedures for handling such situations and his recent relationship to Grimes was a PR debacle casting a shadow over this situation.

I wish he would emphasize that this was more like a favor to a friend, it's a private matter and he wishes the world would leave Ms. Zilis alone and STOP promoting theories about how the world desperately needs big families.

I don't care if some people like big families or happen to have them, but a billionaire promoting the idea that EVERYONE should try to have a big family because he's probably as socially awkward as most brilliant people and simply not coping well with the latest PR debacle in a life lived too much in a fish bowl really does not sit well with me.

Not that a billionaire has any reason to care what I think.

This post brought to you by me making an ass of myself in public recently.