Like Magnets in a Junk Drawer

Someone once explained to me that if gravity were a property of the planets, then they would all clump together like magnets in a junk drawer rather than revolving around the sun. The fact that they don't clump together like that means gravity is a property of space, not of the objects in it.

When I was a military wife, I had real rights in a way a lot of American women seem to lack. I had rights through the military granted me by the military. They were granted because of my relationship to my husband but they were controlled by the army and federal government.

For me, having rights as a military wife was kind of like gravity as a property of space, not of the planets themselves. For a lot of women, whatever rights they have are through their husband in a manner that makes them clump together like magnets in a junk drawer.

Some countries do a better job of providing for moms and their children directly than the US does and some countries provide everyone with medical benefits for being citizens, not dependent on whether or not the man of the house has a good job with good benefits.

As detailed in my last post here, the fact that the US handles such things the way it does makes some women feel unable to leave their marriage because they can't afford to lose access to medical benefits and those benefits are dependent on staying married. I was able to leave and get healthier because the rights I had were a property of the space I was in and did not function like magnets in a junk drawer keeping me glommed onto a man I no longer wished to be with.

The world generally needs to do a better job of that. Life would work more smoothly for everyone and involve fewer deals with the devil if that were more the norm for all people everywhere -- regardless of gender, age or other demographic details.